Friday, March 19, 2010

Cultural Differences

I did not think it would be such a big difference moving up here. Sure, it's remote. But it's still America after all. Wrong... it's almost as if I have moved to a foreign country how different things are. Or is it that I have never lived out in the country, and this area is really more like rural areas in the -48? Interesting thoughts.

People here are reallllllly friendly. Even friendlier than those in my Wisconsin hometown. Everywhere I go, people want to chat. It's funny, PK and I have wanted to move to a small town for some time, and here we are, and it's exactly what I hoped for. Friendly, inviting people, community and all that.

This is a really small town full of character and activity, even in off season. We went to the American Legion for a St. Patrick's Day party. All-you-can-eat corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. With the Guinness flowing and the Irish band (Paddy's Leather Breeches, who we heard again tonight), we could have been in Ireland. And then there was a changing of the guard when the Irish band finished playing and the bagpipers entered playing at full volume. Very neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment